Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Ross Drug Store -- 800 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Owned by Ross family who purchased from Mr. Pennington in 1911. Ulric Ross started work in drug store when he was 12 years old. Two story handmade brick with basement, original sign in window of gold gilt, original windows and doors; front cut stone.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Rose Building (Burke) -- 748 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built 1907; owned by Major Dobkins. Two-story rock building with basement, original windows and doors and wrought iron exterior stairway "New Orleans style."
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[H. J. Ware Building - Rita Theatre - 746 South Main]

Description: Photograph taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Originally built as saloon and opera house; handmade bricks; top floor removed to make a theater operated by Paul Poag; later became Paul Poag Theater for the Performing Arts, operated by City of Del Rio, still in operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old City Hall - Fire Station - Police Department - 120 East Garfield]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built 1924 by Charles Siever for the City of Del Rio to house City Hall, Police Department, and Fire Station; used for Del Rio Boys' Club in 1976; shortly after that became home of Del Rio Council for the Arts which is still there in 2007.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Walton Building - a - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Appears this building is attached to Tom Payne Building and reportedly built as a store in 1922; operated as a store by owner Gordon Walton in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tom Payne Building - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Tin building altered from original construction reportedly sometime between 1885-1900; orginally used as a store; used as a store by Gordon Walton in 1976. (other side of alley for Price Lumber Building)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Duke Home - 108 East Broadway]

Description: Photograph of a two story, peaked roof building with a screened in porch, bay windows, and an appliance extending from the street side of the building. Another one story building with a partially visible sign (City of) and a small windmill is to the right of the building. Partial parked cars are visible to either side of the photograph.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[F. C. Blaine Home -- Broadway Street]

Description: A photograph of a building built in the 1880s with a raised and covered porch enclosed with columns and a banister wraps around the visible parts of the building. A short stairwell with metal handrails leads from the yard to the front door; The wall under the front porch has a few decorative vents.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built as a grocery store; served as "western" store at time of photo.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Del Rio News Herald - Corner Main and Broadway Streets]

Description: Photograph of a two story building mostly covered by vertical teal boards, and large white letters reading The Del Rio News-Herald between the corner and the windowed storefront under an awning. The building is located at the corner of two streets with a double step red curb.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Federal Building - Corner of Main and Broadway]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by the United States government in 1915-16, this Italian Renaissance structure originally housed the Post Office as well as the Federal Court system; c. 1995 it became the Val Verde County Judicial Center.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Charles Miller home - 112 West Martin Street]

Description: Photographs of a wood and rock house with an addition, in process or blue screened-in porch, and a metal chainlink fence and bushes separate the property from the sidewalk. The left photograph shows the front entrance and left side of the house as viewed from an angle across the street. The right photograph is a closer image of the part of the house to the right of the front door, including front walkway, and is taken from directly across the street.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph