Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Madison Gas Station/Store - 109 South Main Street]

Description: Photograph of a brick one story building with red painted letters, some of which read Radiator and Service, and a porte-cochère, under which a car is parked. A metal fence with gate and sign reading Please No Parking in the Drive Way encloses an overgrown grass area and rusted structure next to the building. The concrete / gravel driveway is in poor repair with large potholes and puddles.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Malley Home - 514 Spring Street]

Description: Photograph of a building with wood plant and scallop shingled siding, decorative trim and banister along the covered front porch, and decorations and potted and hanging plants fill the porch. A very short string fence borders the left side of the yard with a tree, and the right side of the yard is overflowing with planted and potted plants.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photograph of a corner building with brick column and wall base details, a windowed storefront with hanging sign reading Cowboy Outfitter, suspended awning. A car is parked at a meter in front of a partially visible painted mural along the side of the building: image of a cowboy on a bucking bronco and reading Pross? World Champion? A potted plant, two utility poles, and a street sign for Broadway and S Main St are on the street corner with a red curb.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Marini Barn - Corner Hudson and Nicholson Streets]

Description: Photograph of a two story adobe barn with teal shuttered windows and an illegible sign on the second story and a fully planked enclosed covered one story addition which is covered in vines. Another structure is partially visible past the tree. A dirt driveway angles across the photo between the tree and a small flowering bush to the barn.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marini Home - Corner Hudson and Nicholson Streets]

Description: Photograph of a wood one story building with a bay window extension next to the covered and half walled front porch. A tall palm tree partially blocks the view of the front porch's blue stairs, flanked by two bushes. The yard is enclosed by a short white picket fence with a gate. A brick building is partially visible past two trees behind the house.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marion Pafford Home - 305 Canal]

Description: Photograph of a plaster building with craftsman style columns for the front porch with white trim, and a vertical striped additions to the left of the building. A tall chain link fence with gate encloses the trees and grass front yard, and short bushes line the front walkway. The sidewalk in front of the fence is broken and in poor repair.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Moody House - Las Vacas Street]

Description: Photograph of a building in poor repair including a gable window and covered front porch with large black spots on the trim and supported by double sets of pillars. A chain link fence and gate crosses the front lawn surrounded by overgrown grass and plants. A covered area extends from the back of the building, to the right.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old City Hall - Fire Station - Police Department - 120 East Garfield]

Description: Photograph of a two story building with two garage doors, a decorative trim front entrance with a hanging bell, and arched decoration and small metal balconies around each second story window. The garage doors and arched window decorations are painted pink and blue, and a large letters painted on the wall read Del Rio Boys' Club. Two cars are parked in front of the building.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Old Del Rio National Bank - SW Corner Main Street and Greenwood]

Description: Photograph of two story building with a curtained entrance door (including sign for The Del Rio Loan Co with a clock) on the corner, decorative trim and pillars across the buildings exterior, a hanging sign with a car image and reading Insurance, Automobile, Financing, and a sign on the wall reading "The Del Rio Loan Co., Loans, Installment Financing, Furniture - Appliances, 775-8535, 701 S. Main St , <- Entrance at Corner." More storefronts can be seen behind the building.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Old Federal Building - Corner of Main and Broadway]

Description: Photograph of a Italian Renaissance styled three story building with stairs, flanked by globe light poles, leading up to the entrances on either side of the building, medallion on the second story facade, small balconies around each second story building, a flag pole and antenna atop the building. Trees are growing on the street corner by the street light, fire hydrant, and hanging traffic light.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Old Val Verde County Jail - a - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photograph of a stone two story building with an entrance door on either side of the building; the front door has an awning and small white fence bordering the front walkway and built-in planters on either side of the stairs.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Old Val Verde County Jail - b - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Patton Home - Greenwood Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe house with 18 inch walls built in 1880s. Reportedly Hal Patten came to Del Rio with Mr. Borroum and had a horse-and-buggy taxi.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Perry Store (Whitehead Memorial Museum) -- 1400 block of South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Perry Store was built by John Perry in 1873 as general store and stage stop on road from San Antonio to El Paso. Reported built by Mexican Indians, two story, stacked flint rock walls 18 inches thick with cypress ceilings, original doors and windows. Wood came from Victoria by ox cart. A Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. In 1976 it is anchor for Whitehead Memorial Museum (still is in 2008).
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Price Woods House - 609 Griner]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story Victorian built 1907 by Price who owned Del Rio's first lumber yard; altered plastic wood-like siding added by 1976; building subdivided into apartments by 1976 and owned by Dr. Turullahs.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - a - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - b - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph