Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
[Alderhold Home - East 2nd Street]
Photograph of a rock house in poor condition in 1976 with decorative moulding for front porch roof and pillars, and the yard is enclosed by short metal fence. To the right of the front walkway is a metal pole, poplar tree, and an illegible yard sign.
[Armstrong House - 821 Spring]
Photograph of a home mostly obscured by trees, a hedge borders the yard, and a mailbox is to the left of the front walkway opening. See Louise Gylmer - J. Kurchiville.
[Block Home - a - End of East Strickland Street]
Photograph of an adobe home, built in the 1890s, in poor repair with two front doors, a front porch, and a dirt driveway. An extension of the home or a separate building is visible to the right and behind the main house.
[Block Home - End of East Strickland Street]
Photograph of an adobe home, built in the 1809s, in poor repair with a front porch; home is viewed from across the overgrown lawn.
[Bob Burdett Grocery - Main Street]
Photograph of a two-story corner brick building, built in 1928, with suspended awning and a partially visible sign that reads Ho?? Appliance Co. Customer Parking Only.
[Bochat Home - 400 Nicholson Street]
Photograph of a seemingly well kept house built using adobe and plaster with two entry doors and a front porch. View is from across the mowed yard.
[Brown Home - Losoya]
Photograph of a one story adobe home, built around 1900, with blue roof, two chimneys, and vines growing down from the eaves; view is from across the street.
[Business Stores - South Main Street]
Photograph of three storefronts built in 1920s, housing Photo Mile on south end and Muter Taxidermist in center; scheduled for demolition in 1976.
[Cadena Blacksmith Shop - 112 Canal Street]
Photograph of a partial view of the Cadena Blacksmith Shop building; part of the painted sign is seen on the storefront (left).
[Cameron Lumber Company - Corner of Dignowity and Pierce Streets]
Photograph of a stand alone store front building in poor repair located on a small triangle lot between two streets. The structure was built in early 1900s, possibly American-Western style.
[Carl Balmer Home - 805 Griner]
Photograph of a seemingly well kept adobe and plaster house with a short wall fence, slightly overgrown with plants, enclosing the yard and trees. The foreground includes a gravel patch between the street and the wall fence.
[Cassinelli Gin House - a - NE Corner Academy and Pecan Streets]
Photograph of a two story brick building with a wooden staircase to a second story entrance. The yard is grass near the house, but mainly dirt / sand with a scattering of plants in the foreground. Behind the house is a street with two cars along a forested area.
[Cassinelli Gin House - b - NE Corner of Academy and Pecan Streets]
Photograph of a stone and brick two story building; a partial view of a wooden structure (possibly staircase) against the left side of the building. Small areas of grass are against the building prefaced by a gravel area by the street.
[Charles Miller home - 112 West Martin Street]
Photographs of a wood and rock house with an addition, in process or blue screened-in porch, and a metal chainlink fence and bushes separate the property from the sidewalk. The left photograph shows the front entrance and left side of the house as viewed from an angle across the street. The right photograph is a closer image of the part of the house to the right of the front door, including front walkway, and is taken from directly across the street.
[Cochran Home - 209 East 8th Street]
Photograph of a square, one story building with the front door covered by a small rounded roof and flanked by bushes; no front walkway exists. A yellow pick up truck is visible parked behind the house, to the left.
[Commercial Building - 119 West Martin Street]
Photographs of a large warehouse building with a windowed storefront and a stepped roof-line. A barbed wire topped chain link fence encloses a large concrete space next to the building including street lights and miscellaneous equipment and supplies under an awning along the building. The left photograph shows the storefront and a car parked along the street. The right photograph shows a two door garage at the back of the building a shopping cart and miscellaneous materials next to a tree at the corner of the fence, and another car parked along the street.
[Comolli Home - Las Vacas Street]
Photograph of a two story adobe home, built in 1885, with a covered walkway, and double-decked porch with built-in solid banister. An uncovered walkway extends from the street to the house where a roof begins and follows along each side of the house. The yard is mostly grass with five bushes spread along both sides of the home with a street lamp positioned between the two left bushes.
[Del Rio News Herald - Corner Main and Broadway Streets]
Photograph of a two story building mostly covered by vertical teal boards, and large white letters reading The Del Rio News-Herald between the corner and the windowed storefront under an awning. The building is located at the corner of two streets with a double step red curb.
[Dietert Home - 208 East Martin Street]
Photograph of a one story building including a bay window addition with brick detail on the corners and a covered porch with a large plywood sheet against the wall and fabric draped on the banister. A blue car is parked in front of the porch, and a two story house is partially visible behind the home. The foreground shows a tree, utility pole, and concrete slab with curb in the yard next to the street curb.
[Dr. Rose Home - 509 Spring Street]
Photograph of a two story building with a rock faced first story and a, possibly plaster, second story. Two story tall columns and bushes flanking the front door which is under a tiny metal balcony extending from a second story door.
[Dr. Rose Home - 1100 Griner]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Plaster. Owned by Tully Shahan in 1976.
[Duke Home - 108 East Broadway]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Victorian style home used as an office in 1976.
[Early Pafford Home - 201 East Pafford]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe.
[Ellis Home - Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Perry Ellis built home in the early 1900s; it was for sale in 1976.
[Everett House - 501 East Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame. Owned by Mabel Deaton in 1976.
[F. C. Blaine Home -- Broadway Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly home built by F. C. Blaine in the 1880s who sold it to Mr. Ware (who had built the "Opera House" in 1886, later known as "Rita Theatre" and later as "Paul Poag Theatre"); First Church of Christ Scientist owned home at time of photo. Later note on survey says the building was "destroyed 1978."
[Fawcett Home - a - 416 Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Rancher E. K. Fawcett from Loma Alta built this lumber home plastered with stucco sometime between 1883-1900. His daugher, Mrs. Dan Finegan, owned the home in 1976.
[Fawcett Home - b - 416 Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Rancher E. K. Fawcett from Loma Alta built this lumber home plastered with stucco sometime between 1883-1900. His daugher, Mrs. Dan Finegan, owned the home in 1976.
[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - a - 123 Hudson Drive]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - b - 123 Hudson Drive]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
[Fred Brown Home - 709 Spring]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame and plaster.
[Galindo Home -- 102 West Pafford Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Home of Galindo family who operated attached beauty shop on corner of Main Street (former Schunke home 1896). Wood building painted white with tin roof.
[Galindo Store -- Corner Main and Pafford Streets]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe painted aqua serves as beauty shop operated by Galindo family; former Schunke home (1896).
[Gibons Home - 315 West 2nd Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Plaster.
[Gillis Home - Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Early American home built around 1890 for Walter Gillis Sr.; owned by Mrs. Roger Gillis in 1976.
[Grady-Lowrey Home - 201 Texas Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Lumber home built by J. Mason in 1902-03; added to by son-in-law J. C. Clarkson; owned by Mrs. Grady Lowrey in 1976, who is granddaughter of Mason and daughter of Clarkson.
[Greenwood Home - 407 Griner]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Plaster.
[Greenwood Park - Greenwood, Garfield, Griner Streets]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Land donated by Frank Greenwood to City of Del Rio for a park with an adobe gazebo; VVCHC restored gazebo in 1972.
[Griffen Home - Garfield Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe home with 18 inch walls built in 1901; for sale in 1976.
[H. J. Ware Building - Rita Theatre - 746 South Main]
Photograph taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Originally built as saloon and opera house; handmade bricks; top floor removed to make a theater operated by Paul Poag; later became Paul Poag Theater for the Performing Arts, operated by City of Del Rio, still in operation in 2008.
[Hamilton Home - 404 Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Plaster. Owned by L. E. Perry in 1976.
[Hardin Home - 506 Losoya]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame and plaster. Remodeled. Owned by C. B. Bushager in 1976.
[D.Hart's Dairy and Cheese Factory - Cienegas Road]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Hand-cut rock two-story built in 1880s for dairy and cheese factory; one-story home added in 1976.
[Henson Hotel - 211-221 South Main Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1920 as Henson Hotel; in 1976 is used for Wipff's Furniture & Appliance, owned by Dobkin family.
[Herbst Home - 500 Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame. Owned by Max Herbst in 1976.
[John Doak Home - 313 Pecan Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by John Taini in 1906 as a home for rancher John Doak. One story cut rock with gingerbread trim and rock pillows of solid pieces of stone. In 1976 it is Arturo Gonzalez' law office; he is still there in 2008.
[John Owen Glen Home - Gibbs Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly, Mr. Glen was a sutler at Camp Del Rio. When Camp closed, he used lumber from the old buildings to build this home, carrying the lumber in a wheelbarrow and on his shoulders. Owned by Mr. Glen, a descendant, in 1976.
[Joseph Hyman Building - NE Corner Main and Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by Mr. Taini c. 1890s for Joseph Hyman family which lived on second floor above shops.
[Julius Franki Home - a - 500 Hudson Drive]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
[Julius Franki Home - b - 500 Hudson Drive]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.