Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Old Val Verde County Jail - a - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Val Verde County Jail - b - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Patton Home - Greenwood Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe house with 18 inch walls built in 1880s. Reportedly Hal Patten came to Del Rio with Mr. Borroum and had a horse-and-buggy taxi.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Perry Store (Whitehead Memorial Museum) -- 1400 block of South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Perry Store was built by John Perry in 1873 as general store and stage stop on road from San Antonio to El Paso. Reported built by Mexican Indians, two story, stacked flint rock walls 18 inches thick with cypress ceilings, original doors and windows. Wood came from Victoria by ox cart. A Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. In 1976 it is anchor for Whitehead Memorial Museum (still is in 2008).
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Price Woods House - 609 Griner]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story Victorian built 1907 by Price who owned Del Rio's first lumber yard; altered plastic wood-like siding added by 1976; building subdivided into apartments by 1976 and owned by Dr. Turullahs.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - a - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - b - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Ray Home - Duke Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1877 by Bochat, reportedly one of the first ten houses built in Del Rio, adobe with 18 inch walls, small and high windows and fireplace inside living room. Charles Ray owns home in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Rose Building (Burke) -- 748 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built 1907; owned by Major Dobkins. Two-story rock building with basement, original windows and doors and wrought iron exterior stairway "New Orleans style."
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Ross Drug Store -- 800 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Owned by Ross family who purchased from Mr. Pennington in 1911. Ulric Ross started work in drug store when he was 12 years old. Two story handmade brick with basement, original sign in window of gold gilt, original windows and doors; front cut stone.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Salvatierra Home - a - Wallen Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1875 of lumber; well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 when he first came to Del Rio.)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Salvatierra Home - b - Wallen Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1975 of lumber, well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 whe he first came to Del Rio.)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph