Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Tom Payne Building - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Tin building altered from original construction reportedly sometime between 1885-1900; orginally used as a store; used as a store by Gordon Walton in 1976. (other side of alley for Price Lumber Building)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Walton Building - a - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Appears this building is attached to Tom Payne Building and reportedly built as a store in 1922; operated as a store by owner Gordon Walton in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[H. J. Ware Building - Rita Theatre - 746 South Main]

Description: Photograph taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Originally built as saloon and opera house; handmade bricks; top floor removed to make a theater operated by Paul Poag; later became Paul Poag Theater for the Performing Arts, operated by City of Del Rio, still in operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built as a grocery store; served as "western" store at time of photo.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Ross Drug Store -- 800 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Owned by Ross family who purchased from Mr. Pennington in 1911. Ulric Ross started work in drug store when he was 12 years old. Two story handmade brick with basement, original sign in window of gold gilt, original windows and doors; front cut stone.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tagliabue Store - 609 Pecan Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. This adobe building with 18 inch walls is reportedly the "seventh house built in Del Rio" about 1873 -- the store was added later. Charlie Tagliabue owned in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Cadena Blacksmith Shop - 112 Canal Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Hernan Cadena built and began his blacksmith shop in the 1890s and later provided service to the new automobiles. Owned by Hernan Cadena Jr. in 1976. Still standing as is in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Federal Building - Corner of Main and Broadway]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by the United States government in 1915-16, this Italian Renaissance structure originally housed the Post Office as well as the Federal Court system; c. 1995 it became the Val Verde County Judicial Center.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Del Rio News Herald - Corner Main and Broadway Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly the building originally housed a bakery, restaurant, and print shop during the early 20th century. The Del Rio News Herald covered the original facade to look more modern. At turn of 21st century, The Herald restaurant restored the building to its original look.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph