Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
[Marini Home - Corner Hudson and Nicholson Streets]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story wood house built in 1912; plastic siding does not ruin lines of building. Neal Kerr owns in 1976.
[Salvatierra Home - a - Wallen Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1875 of lumber; well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 when he first came to Del Rio.)
[Taini Home - SE Corner Main and Ney Streets]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. John Taini, Italian stonemason, built this one story Spanish-Italian cut rock home with its original windows and doors, fountain, and fence in 1889. Home with tin roof owned by Mrs. Theo Ramirez in 1976.
[Price Lumber Company - b - 432 South Main Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. View of alley to back of Price Lumber Company.
[Rose Building (Burke) -- 748 South Main Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built 1907; owned by Major Dobkins. Two-story rock building with basement, original windows and doors and wrought iron exterior stairway "New Orleans style."
[Perry Store (Whitehead Memorial Museum) -- 1400 block of South Main Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Perry Store was built by John Perry in 1873 as general store and stage stop on road from San Antonio to El Paso. Reported built by Mexican Indians, two story, stacked flint rock walls 18 inches thick with cypress ceilings, original doors and windows. Wood came from Victoria by ox cart. A Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. In 1976 it is anchor for Whitehead Memorial Museum (still is in 2008).
[Orr House - 401 East Greenwood Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built 1918 for Dr. and Mrs. B. F. Orr. Michael Stool owns it in 1976.
[Teasdale Home - 109 West 2nd Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame; remodeled. Owned by Burt Smith in 1976. Check Marion Russell.
[Marion Pafford Home - 305 Canal]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Plaster. Owned by Leslie Schmidt in 1976.
[Wood & Sons Bank - Frank's Hotel - 204 South Main Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1885 reportedly as Del Rio's first bank - Wood & Son's Bank; later was Frank's hotel; Mr. Schubert owns the building in 1976 which is used as a residence.
[Weathersbee Home - 315 Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern colonial built in 1915.
[Williams Hospital - 213 East Martin]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Brick and plaster. Reportedly 1920.
[Tardy Home - 703 Losoya Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built about 1880 for H. C. Tardy who moved back to Sabinal in 1885 after selling the home to Ben Borroum. 1976 owner is Jerrell Edmison.
[Thurmond Home - 514 East Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame.
[Swift Home - 400 Spring Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Rock and frame.
[Price Woods House - 609 Griner]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story Victorian built 1907 by Price who owned Del Rio's first lumber yard; altered plastic wood-like siding added by 1976; building subdivided into apartments by 1976 and owned by Dr. Turullahs.
[Schubert Home - West 1st Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976.
[Moody House - Las Vacas Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in early 1900s by Bedell Moore of hand cut rock; Moody Foundation owns it in 1976.
[Patton Home - Greenwood Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe house with 18 inch walls built in 1880s. Reportedly Hal Patten came to Del Rio with Mr. Borroum and had a horse-and-buggy taxi.
[Wood Home - 418 Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Lumber home built between 1886-1890; home to John Wood and later Mr. Almond who served as sheriff and tax collector of Val Verde County.
[Old Val Verde County Jail - a - 209 Losoya]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
[Sneddon Home - 100 East 1st Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976.
[Val Verde County Courthouse - a - 400 Pecan Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by Italian stonemason John Taini with hand-cut rock and original windows and doors. Named to the National Register.
[Railroad House - 127 East Martin Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by John Taini; carport added later.
[Willis Home - 507 Greenwood]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Frame.
[Val Verde County Courthouse - b - 400 Pecan Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by Italian stonemason John Taini with hand-cut rock and original windows and doors. Named to the National Register.
[Wolff House - 806 Pecan Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story wood building faced along lower level with old brick recovered from a grist mill built by Mr. Wolff about 1886. Owned by Jack Hill in 1976.
[Old Val Verde County Jail - b - 209 Losoya]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
[Tom Pafford Home - 709 Pecan Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe building covered by wood paneling built by Tom Pafford around 1868. Pafford was one of the five men who began the San Felipe Agricultural Manufacturing Irrigation Company.
[Ray Home - Duke Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1877 by Bochat, reportedly one of the first ten houses built in Del Rio, adobe with 18 inch walls, small and high windows and fireplace inside living room. Charles Ray owns home in 1976.
[Tagliabue Home - 609 Pecan Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. This adobe building with 18 inch walls is reportedly the "seventh house built in Del Rio" about 1873 -- the store was added later. Charlie Tagliabue owned in 1976.
[Will Whitehead Home - 210 East 8th Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976.
[Tardy Dam - East of Main Street on San Felipe Creek at Johnson Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Mr. Tardy built the dam in the early 1880s to water his dairy cows behind his home on Losoya Street. Owned by Moody Foundation in 1976.
[Smith-Hazel Whitehead Coe Home - 200 East 8th Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Mr. Smith, whole grocery business, built plaster house; later remodeled; owned by Robert Warren in 1976.
[W. K. Jones Home - 316 Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Lumber home built in 1884 for W. K. Jones who became the first Val Verde County Judge after helping to organize the county. Subdivided into apartments in 1976; owner is Doug Newton.
[Sally Wolford Home - 417 East Garfield]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Owned by Marvin B. Vick in 1976.
[Yates Hotel - 204 South Main Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by Mr. Yates and Eagle Pass Lumber Company about 1900 as Yates Hotel. Reportedly used by Dr. John R. Brinkley for hospital patients. In 1976 is Schubert Hotel owned by Dick Schubert.
[Salvatierra Home - b - Wallen Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1975 of lumber, well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 whe he first came to Del Rio.)
[Railroad House - East Martin Street]
Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Southern Pacific Railroad built house for workers; built by John Taini.
[Dr. Rose Home - 1100 Griner]
Photograph of a one story plaster building with a small roof above the front door and supported by four columns. A large tree looms in the grass yard and bushes line the house.
[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - b - 123 Hudson Drive]
Photograph of the north side of the two story plaster building including a small covered porch with a hanging potted plant. The building is obscured by a hedge of bushes, trees, utility pole, and a white construction wall or block with a grass lawn in the foreground.
[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - a - 123 Hudson Drive]
Photograph of a plaster building with a two story main section: square pillars extend past the roof line, shutters are around the front windows and flower boxes are under the upper front windows, and one story building extensions on either side of the center entrance; the windows on the left extension are arched, and a double french door is located on the right extension. A few unidentified people are standing in the entrance.
[Cassinelli Gin House - b - NE Corner of Academy and Pecan Streets]
Photograph of a stone and brick two story building; a partial view of a wooden structure (possibly staircase) against the left side of the building. Small areas of grass are against the building prefaced by a gravel area by the street.
[Cassinelli Gin House - a - NE Corner Academy and Pecan Streets]
Photograph of a two story brick building with a wooden staircase to a second story entrance. The yard is grass near the house, but mainly dirt / sand with a scattering of plants in the foreground. Behind the house is a street with two cars along a forested area.
[Cochran Home - 209 East 8th Street]
Photograph of a square, one story building with the front door covered by a small rounded roof and flanked by bushes; no front walkway exists. A yellow pick up truck is visible parked behind the house, to the left.
[Carl Balmer Home - 805 Griner]
Photograph of a seemingly well kept adobe and plaster house with a short wall fence, slightly overgrown with plants, enclosing the yard and trees. The foreground includes a gravel patch between the street and the wall fence.
[Comolli Home - Las Vacas Street]
Photograph of a two story adobe home, built in 1885, with a covered walkway, and double-decked porch with built-in solid banister. An uncovered walkway extends from the street to the house where a roof begins and follows along each side of the house. The yard is mostly grass with five bushes spread along both sides of the home with a street lamp positioned between the two left bushes.
[Bochat Home - 400 Nicholson Street]
Photograph of a seemingly well kept house built using adobe and plaster with two entry doors and a front porch. View is from across the mowed yard.
[Brown Home - Losoya]
Photograph of a one story adobe home, built around 1900, with blue roof, two chimneys, and vines growing down from the eaves; view is from across the street.
[Business Stores - South Main Street]
Photograph of three storefronts built in 1920s, housing Photo Mile on south end and Muter Taxidermist in center; scheduled for demolition in 1976.