Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Julius Franki Home - b - 500 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Tom Payne Building - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Tin building altered from original construction reportedly sometime between 1885-1900; orginally used as a store; used as a store by Gordon Walton in 1976. (other side of alley for Price Lumber Building)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Salvatierra Home - a - Wallen Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1875 of lumber; well in yard. (Reportedly Mr. and Mrs. Salvatierra married in Paula Rivers' yard, and he lived in a sapa along the San Felipe Creek in 1870 when he first came to Del Rio.)
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Louis Brauer Home - a - 306 Nicholson]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. One story adobe construction with plaster exterior. (See b photo) Built by Dr. Jackson in 1885. Mr. Brauer was one of the first surveyors in Del Rio in 1881.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Walton Building - a - 432 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Appears this building is attached to Tom Payne Building and reportedly built as a store in 1922; operated as a store by owner Gordon Walton in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Taini Home - SE Corner Main and Ney Streets]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. John Taini, Italian stonemason, built this one story Spanish-Italian cut rock home with its original windows and doors, fountain, and fence in 1889. Home with tin roof owned by Mrs. Theo Ramirez in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[H. J. Ware Building - Rita Theatre - 746 South Main]

Description: Photograph taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Originally built as saloon and opera house; handmade bricks; top floor removed to make a theater operated by Paul Poag; later became Paul Poag Theater for the Performing Arts, operated by City of Del Rio, still in operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Foster Home (W. H. Mason) - a - 123 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story house built in 1908 for W. H. Mason; wood with plaster finish; wood beams carved and shipped from Italy; hand-painted tile floors with wrought iron trim throughout. Reportedly sulphur well in backyard used for baths. Harold Plocek owns in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built as a grocery store; served as "western" store at time of photo.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Rose Building (Burke) -- 748 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built 1907; owned by Major Dobkins. Two-story rock building with basement, original windows and doors and wrought iron exterior stairway "New Orleans style."
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Ross Drug Store -- 800 South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Owned by Ross family who purchased from Mr. Pennington in 1911. Ulric Ross started work in drug store when he was 12 years old. Two story handmade brick with basement, original sign in window of gold gilt, original windows and doors; front cut stone.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Julius Franki Home - a - 500 Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built between 1883 and 1900 by Julius Franki who came from Italy in 1881, farmed and made wine; adobe walls with wooden shingles. Owned by Heriberto Urby in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph