Val Verde County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Marcy Martin - Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Reportedly built as a grocery store; served as "western" store at time of photo.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Moody House - Las Vacas Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in early 1900s by Bedell Moore of hand cut rock; Moody Foundation owns it in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old City Hall - Fire Station - Police Department - 120 East Garfield]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built 1924 by Charles Siever for the City of Del Rio to house City Hall, Police Department, and Fire Station; used for Del Rio Boys' Club in 1976; shortly after that became home of Del Rio Council for the Arts which is still there in 2007.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Federal Building - Corner of Main and Broadway]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built by the United States government in 1915-16, this Italian Renaissance structure originally housed the Post Office as well as the Federal Court system; c. 1995 it became the Val Verde County Judicial Center.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Val Verde County Jail - a - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Old Val Verde County Jail - b - 209 Losoya]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Built in 1887 by John Taini at the same time as the County Courthouse in the same rock. Originally used as a jail, being used as tax office in 1976.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Patton Home - Greenwood Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Adobe house with 18 inch walls built in 1880s. Reportedly Hal Patten came to Del Rio with Mr. Borroum and had a horse-and-buggy taxi.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Perry Store (Whitehead Memorial Museum) -- 1400 block of South Main Street]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Perry Store was built by John Perry in 1873 as general store and stage stop on road from San Antonio to El Paso. Reported built by Mexican Indians, two story, stacked flint rock walls 18 inches thick with cypress ceilings, original doors and windows. Wood came from Victoria by ox cart. A Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. In 1976 it is anchor for Whitehead Memorial Museum (still is in 2008).
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Price Woods House - 609 Griner]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Two story Victorian built 1907 by Price who owned Del Rio's first lumber yard; altered plastic wood-like siding added by 1976; building subdivided into apartments by 1976 and owned by Dr. Turullahs.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - a - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph

[Qualia Winery - b - Hudson Drive]

Description: Photo was taken during the Historical Resources Survey of Del Rio, Texas, 1976. Louis Qualia started the Val Verde Winery in 1882, making it the oldest continuously operated bonded winery in the state of Texas. Two story barn built of adobe with 18 inch walls, original windows and doors. Son Thomas Qualia operates winery in 1976. Still in family operation in 2008.
Date: 1976
Item Type: Photograph