Partners - P
The Bicentennial City County Library serves Cottle County from the county seat of Paducah, and it offers a variety of holdings to its patrons, including 14,300 books, 329 audio materials, 373 video materials, and 22 serial subscriptions. In 1909, the Quannah, Acme, and Pacific Railroad arrived on Christmas Day in Paducah, when the town population was around 1400 citizens.Joined: May 2016.
The Dr. Pound Historical Farmstead Museum, built in 1854, was the home of one of the founding families of Dripping Springs, TX. It was the first school house, church, and medical office. The Pound family occupied the house until 1983. The reconstructed home and its decorative artifacts represent life in Central Texas around the year 1910. Artifacts include books, photographs, correspondence, medical supplies, textiles, and furniture dating from 1854-1963.Joined: September 2016.
Twenty women organized the Palacios Library on June 15, 1910. At the end of the year the library had 104 members, 325 books, and $150 in the treasury. The library was originally housed in a narrow framed building, which was once the town box ball alley.Joined: May 2014.
The Palestine Public Library materials include local history photographs selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the digitization of at-Risk photographs and maps, as well as photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.Joined: May 2009.
The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum opened in 1933 as a showcase for the artifacts, art, and archives that document the history and culture of the Texas Panhandle and surrounding plains regions. Its collections in the fields of paleontology, ethnology, natural history, pioneer history, and art cover the region from its prehistory through the modern era.Joined: March 2012.
Panola College has provided the Portal to Texas History with multiple collections, including "Black Gold," a serial written to help to instill leadership skills in African American students, and "The Pony Express" and "Panola Panorama," which encompass the college's student newspaper run. The M.P. Baker Library of Panola College is dedicated to offering resources and services, when and where they are needed, to enhancing the development of the whole student body, and to offering opportunities for students to become lifelong learners.Joined: March 2012.
The Pearce Museum is located on the campus of Navarro College in Corsicana, Texas. Through our mission to connect with the past by engaging today’s visitor through personal perspectives of the Civil War and the American West, we bring to life two important time periods in the history of our nation. By participating in the Portal to Texas History, the Pearce Museum highlights the involvement of Texas during the Civil War, and provides further access of its collection to the general public. For access to our entire collection, please visit us at www.pearcemuseum.com.Joined: July 2015.
Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame collections are diverse in content, covering life of the West Texas ranching heritage, life in the Permian Basin boom towns, and early oilfield camps. The images date from the 1890s to 1950s.Joined: October 2009.
The Pharr Memorial Library strives to promote the love of reading and serves as a gateway to knowledge for the Pharr community. With deep roots in Texas history, the city of Pharr was originally sited in a Spanish land grant made in 1767 to Juan José Hinojosa. The city became further developed when, in 1911, it was a stop on the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway, where it served as a crossroads for shipping and travel between the United States and Mexico.Joined: April 2016.
The Pioneer City County Museum, located in Sweetwater, Texas is dedicated to preserving the history of Nolan County and the City of Sweetwater as well as to educating our community. We are located at 610 E. Third Street in the historic Ragland House. The house itself is extremely unique in that it served as a working funeral home for 30 years as well as a home to three families. The Ragland House now contains some 500,000+ artifacts representing the history of our community and dating back to as far as 15,000 B.C.E.
As part of our commitment to community education the Pioneer Museum has partnered with several local organizations including The Woman’s Forum, Sweetwater High School’s AVID program, and Sweetwater Intermediate School. We have also joined forces with local families to increase our accessibility for families challenged with vision and hearing impairments, and autism spectrum disorder. We hope you enjoy this small part of our collection on the Portal to Texas History and visit us soon!Joined: June 2016.
The Post Public Library contributed its collection of catalogs for the annual OS Ranch Steer Roping and Art Exhibit that were published from 1976 to 1983. The three day event was a means to benefit the West Texas Boys Ranch. While the ropers performed in the arena before thousands of visitors, the artists' western paintings and sculptures were displayed and sold in the old ranch house.Joined: January 2015.
The Pottsboro Area Public Library was organized in May 1985. In April 1986 the library was officially opened in a donated mobile home. October 1989, the Library moved to a location in Preston Plaza, Pottsboro. In 1991, the Resource Savings Building on Highway 120 was purchased with grants, donations and fundraisers. The Pottsboro Area Public Library was accepted in the Northeast Texas Library System (NETLS). It was the only all-volunteer library in the area, including the librarian. In Jan. 1998, the Library received a Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund Grant to provide computers and equipment for patrons to access the Internet. Also in 1998, the International Rotarian District 5810 built and donated a 600 square foot addition to the Library.
The Pottsboro Area Public Library is a 501 (C) (3) organization chartered by the Office of the Secretary of State for the purposes of providing free public services. We have a current contract with the City of Pottsboro and Grayson County. It is operated by the Pottsboro City Operating Board, responsible for the daily function of the library. A separate organization, The Friends of the Library, holds fundraisers and secures grants and donations. We have one part-time salaried librarian, with volunteers serving in various staff positions.Joined: June 2015.
Prairie View A&M University features the Texas Standard, a publication of the State Teachers Association of Texas, 1933-1966. The Texas Standard documents the history of African American teachers in Texas before desegregation.Joined: December 2011.
The Price Johnson Family Collection provides statistic records, deeds, titles, photographs and newspaper articles relating to the history of an African American family started by Sam Price; a slave whose freedom was purchased by the slavemasters' daughter. The various unions between subsequent family members have given rise to land owners, educators, politicians, athletes, and civil rights leaders.Joined: March 2012.
The Private Collection of Bouncer Goin includes local history materials from Mr. Goin's hometown of Aubrey, Texas. Materials include a 1918 Aubrey High School Yearbook; family photos; images of local churches, businesses, and the tornado of April 1918.Joined: May 2009.
Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards includes letters and photographs predominately from Paris, Texas. Materials include photographs of family members, the Paris fire of 1916, and family correspondence. Letters include correspondence between Judge David H. Scott of Paris and family friend, Cyrus I. Scofield, author of the Scofield Reference Bible.Joined: May 2009.
Born in 1927 in Wheelock, Texas, Estelle Mitchell Adams is the last surviving grandchild of Georgia slaves who came to Texas in 1895. This collection is meant to preserve and share her memories of the cultural and historical details of the the African-American citizens who helped to develop the town of Wheelock and the county of Robertson, TX.Joined: August 2015.
The Private Collection of Jim Bell features photographs of the Texas county courthouses and the surrounding buildings and streets. Photographer and commercial contractor Jim Bell traveled throughout Texas photographing county courthouses, significant historical buildings and landmarks. His photographs also include interior views, architectural details, and historical markers.Joined: February 2011.
The Judge Joseph A. Carroll Collection consists of 80 letters of approximately 129 pages written to and from Judge Carroll between 1856 through 1869. Joseph A. Carroll played a major role in the early development of North Texas. He was a founding father of Denton, Texas as well as a significant player before, during, and after the Civil War in shaping north Texas.Joined: January 2014.
The Private Collection of Judy Wood and Jim Atkinson contributed their book, Fort Worth's Huge Deal: Unwinding Westside's Twisted Legend. The book discusses Arlington Heights, a neighborhood in Fort Worth that was founded in the late 1880s.Joined: March 2015.
The Bahl, Wheatly, and Hessdoerfer families were residents of Waco, Texas from the 1850's. The items in this collection were found in the Elmer and Josephine (Bahl) Wheatly home after the death of Elmer and Josephine Wheatly in 2010.Joined: June 2016.
The Private Collection of Mary Newton Maxwell includes family photographs, letters, and documents along with journals and church registers. The collection spans many Texas counties and over 150 years of Texas history.Joined: January 2015.
The Private Collection of Melvin E. Brewer consists of 39 letters revealing the courtship of Emma Davis and John C. Brewer between 1876 and 1879. John C. Brewer was living in Rockwall County and Emma Davis was in Hopkins County at the time. The collection includes transcriptions of each letter.Joined: January 2013.
The Private Collection of Mike Cochran features photographic negatives of the African-American community of Waco, Texas. The collection consists of numerous studio portraits, marriage portraits, graduation and older family photos.Joined: February 2012.
The Private Collection of Rosa Walston Latimer consists of original, hand-written letters and other correspondence from former Texas Harvey Girls (and their families) who worked in Harvey Houses along the Santa Fe Railroad in Texas.Joined: March 2015.
The Private Collection of T. B. Willis consists of historical photographs of World War I Camp MacArthur, church photos, buildings across Texas, a collection of African-American photographs, and family photo albums, which include Willis family albums and extended relatives who settled in Waco, Texas in the 19th century.Joined: April 2013.
The Private Collection of the Ellis and Blanton Families includes photographs predominately from Fort Worth, Texas. Materials include photographs of family members, including weddings, and a photo of the Sunday school class from the First Methodist Church in 1906.Joined: May 2009.
The Private Collection of the Raymond B. Holbrook Family contributed Texas Week, the first weekly magazine devoted entirely to the State of Texas.Joined: February 2015.
The Sutherlin Family presents their collection of family letters to and from James Edgar Sutherlin, when he served in the U.S. Navy in WWII. He enlisted before he was 18 and served from 1943 - 1946. Official Navy documents, ship menus, Newsletters, and family photographs are included.Joined: February 2011.