Lucy Hill Patterson Memorial Library

History

In 1953-1954 the library was opened with 2,300 books donated by the citizens and the Texas State Library, and on October 17, 1954, the public was invited to an open house. In 1961, Dr. George Hill Patterson made a $12,500 donation in memory of his mother, Lucy Hill Patterson, who was born in Rockdale. The city offered matching funds, and on May 25, 1963, the dedication of the new Lucy Hill Patterson Library was held. Dr. Patterson was pleased with the acceptance and operation of the library and provided a generous gift in his will for library expansion. In 1980, the library was completely remodeled, tripling in size with a second story.

About the Library

With a staff of four and an active volunteer program, the library offers a variety of programs and services to patrons of all ages. The library currently works closely with the Milam County Genealogical Society and received a Tocker Foundation grant to add the Rockdale Reporter and the Cameron Herald newspapers to The Portal to Texas History.

Contact

Reference

512-446-3410

Address

201 Ackerman Street
Rockdale, TX 76567



At a Glance