The assessed values in 1880 were $1,992,- Galceston, the capital of Galveston county
891, and in 1890 $21,306,785. and chief seaport in the State, is situated onl
Fort Worth is situated in the northern the extreme northeast end of Galveston island,
Fort Worth is situated in tlie northern
at the lmouth of the bay of the same name. It
portion of the central artesian water belt ofth of the ba of the same name. It
tire State, and has within its . li its! ab u 31 was laid out in 1838. The first sale of townl
tlie State, and lias witlill its limits about 3(00lots
took place April 20 of thlat year.
artesian wells, which supply water to both l
,,. .l .] *. .~ " ^~(Galveston's peculiar advantages, by reason
public and private enterprises. These wells n
vary in deptll from 114 to 1,140 feet. The of its geogrsphical position, have long atfirst
well was dug in 189 and there is no tracted tlie attention ot the commercial world.
first well was dug iI 1879 and there is no1
diminution from the water flow. The deep- It is one of the largest cotton markets of
est wells are the strong-flowing ones. e America, which trade has contributed much
water from these wells in ost instances is tward its gener rosperity
wGalveston suffered with other Southern
wholesome, and is used for drinking and cities in te general business depress
i .. cities in the general business depression
incident to the war, and her trade, manuManufacturing
establishments now in oper- factures and industries of every character
ation are testimonies of Fort Worth's pIros- were more or less prostrated. But this prosperity.
They indicate what is in store tor a tration was only temllporary. New enterprises
city with such enterprise and financial back- have sprung up, and the commercial, manning
as is possessed by Fort Worth. facturing and maritime interests of the city
The city has 110 miles of graded and took on new life, and at present a general
graveled streets, sixty miles of sewer, fifty- feeling of confidence prevails, and the outlook
nine miles of electric street railway, is for prosperity and stability is brighter than
copiously lighted by electricity, and has seven- ever in the history of the city.
teen churches, models of architecture. It has It has had a constant, steady increase in
seven national banks, with a combined capi- population, and for the past few years the
tal of $5,000,000. Amount expended in ratio of increase has been great. The popu1890
in building operations and public im- lation (U. S. Census) in 1870, 15,290; in
provements, $2,112,000. 1880, 24,121; in 1890, 29,118; estimated
Fort Worth is a great railroad center, the directory 8 1891 5 e00
the following lines entering the place: Texas Durang 1889 9)0- 91 the clty lnaugurat&
Pacific, St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas, Fort ed a thoreugh system of waser works, fed
Worth & Rio Grande, Fort Worth & Denver from the many artesian wells in the city
City, Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe, Missouri, limits. A marked difference in the tonnage
i of vessels engaged in the export and import
Kansas & Texas and the Fort Worth & _New of vessels engaged lu the export and import
Orleansas & The shopxas an of the Fort Worth & New trade is observed, and the draught of water
Orleans. The shops of tile Fort Worth & over the bar has been very much improved.
Denver City, the Texas & Pacific and Fort From August 1, 1888, to August 1, 1889
Worth & Rio Grande Railroad Companies
aWeo located here. G 75 steamers entered the harbor from foreign
ports and 192 entered from coastwise ports,
The mercantile transactions for 1890 were while 80 cleared for foreign ports and 174 for
estimated at about $14,000()00() coastwise ports.
HISTORY OF TEXAS.
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher.. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed May 20, 2013.