You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1880-1889
 Language: English
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2006
[Jane Pells]

[Jane Pells]

Date: 1887
Creator: Bailey Photography
Description: Photograph of Jane Pells. This photo was included in the Pells-Trotter collection of photos and memorabilia which was donated to the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Colonel George R. Howard]

[Colonel George R. Howard]

Date: 1886
Creator: unknown
Description: Colonel George Robert Howard was born on June 6, 1818. He married Cornelia Cox and they came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. Their home, now referred to as “The Howard House” by local residents, is located at 1101 N. Perry Street. It was built in 1851 on land deeded to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves on August 17, 1850. He died on December 28, 1900 and is buried in the Old section of the Palestine City Cemetery.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Card dated 1885 acknowledging receipt of an order]

[Card dated 1885 acknowledging receipt of an order]

Date: November 9, 1885
Creator: H. O'Neill & Co.
Description: Card dated November 9, 1885 acknowledging receipt of an order. Sent to an address in Laredo, Texas from H. O'Neill & Company in New York City.
Contributing Partner: Laredo Public Library
Henrietta Street - Horse Race

Henrietta Street - Horse Race

Date: 1885
Creator: unknown
Description: Harness (horse) racing through a street in Henrietta around 1885.
Contributing Partner: Clay County Historical Society
[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1885 - 1916
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
Plano de los Dos Laredos

Plano de los Dos Laredos

Date: January 1881
Creator: Laroche, E. R.
Description: Plat of the 'two Laredos' (Laredo, Texas and New Laredo, Mexico) from January 1881. The map appears to be a cadastral map with numbered (and lettered) lots in both cities, likely showing ownership. Some streets are labeled as well as Fort McIntosh (noted as a "U.S. Military Reservation") in Laredo and the Campo de Marte in Nuevo Laredo.
Contributing Partner: Laredo Public Library
[Palestine Texas]

[Palestine Texas]

Date: c. 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of Front Street (now known as Spring Street) which runs along the railroad tracks in Palestine, Texas. It was taken about 1880.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library