[105 W. Green]

Description:

Photograph of the front of a single-story, L-plan house located at 105 W. Green in Palestine, Texas. The house is blue with white accents and has a front- and side-facing gabled roof. Noteworthy features include the porch with its slender classically-inspired columns and the oculus window in the front gable end.

Creator(s): Hardy, Heck, Moore
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: June 1991
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Usage:
Total Uses: 25
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: June 1991
  • Digitized: March 2, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.770308, -95.633652
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
June 1991
Description:

Photograph of the front of a single-story, L-plan house located at 105 W. Green in Palestine, Texas. The house is blue with white accents and has a front- and side-facing gabled roof. Noteworthy features include the porch with its slender classically-inspired columns and the oculus window in the front gable end.

Note:

Photograph of 105 W. Green taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. The most common subtype of domestic building in Palestine from the late 19th century is the L-plan, and this property is a good local example. The house has a front- and side-facing gabled roof, which is the single most distinctive physical attribute of this kind of building. Noteworthy features include the porch with its slender classically-inspired columns and the oculus window in the front gable end. City directories show this house to have been occupied by a rapid succession of renters during the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, including: Charlie W. Stockoff, a master mechanic for the I&GN Railroad, and his wife, Pauline, in 1926; J.W. Prince in 1930-31; and George F. Short, a clerk for Missouri Pacific, and his wife, Maude, 1941. John Stafford Turner Sr. bought this house from the Shorts in 1941, and the family lived there until 1987. Stafford Turner was a time keeper/clerk in the store dept of the MoPac railroad.

Note:

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Physical Description:

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): Historical Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas. 1989-1991 | houses | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Series Title: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 2006 - PPL - HRSPT_4 - 101-200
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth10323
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.770308, -95.633652
[105 W. Green]

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls