Texas Jewish Post
What's Inside this Collection.
The Texas Jewish Post, an English-language newspaper that carried some items in Hebrew, was originally a monthly publication that subsequently evolved into a biweekly and then a weekly. The inaugural issue appeared in January 1947. Sheldon Beren, a chemist and recent Harvard graduate, wrote, edited, and readied for print the first Post with his wife, Faygel Abromson Beren, in the kitchen of their apartment on the South Side of Fort Worth. Beren's career soon took him to Wichita, Kansas, however. By 1948 ownership of the paper had passed to Jessard A. (Jimmy) Wisch. With his wife, Irene, and his brother Edward, the new publisher and editor began redefining the Post. By 1990 international news claimed 50 percent of the newspaper's column inches, with 30 percent devoted to local news and the remaining 20 percent to regional and national coverage. The Jewish Telegraphic Agency, a news service supported by the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, provided wire reports. Reportage also has originated from Seven Arts Features, Worldwide News Services, and the United Nations Service. The Post's correspondents contributed coverage from Washington D.C. and Israel.
Article reprinted from the Handbook of Texas Online, courtesy of the Texas State Historical Association