You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1900-1909
 Language: English
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Copy negative of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A smaller building is visible to the left.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: This house is one of the most opulent and outstanding examples of the Queen Anne style in Palestine. This majestic 2 ½ story frame residence displays superb craftsmanship throughout the elaborate woodwork of the exterior. The building retains much of its historic character and integrity. Prominent local architect Luther McKlemurry designed and built this house for William McBurney Broyles and his wife Caroline Scott Broyles in 1893-94. An Alabama native, Mr. Broyles (1849-1925) was a prosperous East Texas lumberman, who played an important role in the economic development of Palestine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was active in local real estate, and developed three new additions to the town, including the Broyles Addition, on which this house is situated. Much of the exemplary millwork featured on the house was manufactured in Broyles’ own Palestine mills. The house was later occupied by son Gordon Broyles, who lived here until his death in 1987. The house is still in the Broyles family.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: This house is one of the most opulent and outstanding examples of the Queen Anne style in Palestine. This majestic 2 ½ story frame residence displays superb craftsmanship throughout the elaborate woodwork of the exterior. The building retains much of its historic character and integrity. Prominent local architect Luther McKlemurry designed and built this house for William McBurney Broyles and his wife Caroline Scott Broyles in 1893-94. An Alabama native, Mr. Broyles (1849-1925) was a prosperous East Texas lumberman, who played an important role in the economic development of Palestine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was active in local real estate, and developed three new additions to the town, including the Broyles Addition, on which this house is situated. Much of the exemplary millwork featured on the house was manufactured in Broyles’ own Palestine mills. The house was later occupied by son Gordon Broyles, who lived here until his death in 1987. The house is still in the Broyles family.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Anderson County Farmers]

[Anderson County Farmers]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of some farmer working in the fields somewhere in Anderson County. It is unknown who Mrs. Melba Wallace is or how she is connected to this picture.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Anderson County Jail]

[Anderson County Jail]

Date: C. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Announcement card for the birth of Charles Howell Scott ]

[Announcement card for the birth of Charles Howell Scott ]

Date: March 8, 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: Birth announcement for Charles Howell Scott, March 8, 1906.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards
[The Attack]

[The Attack]

Date: 1906
Creator: Gross, O.
Description: Color postcard with an image of a child holding her doll as a dog tries to pull it away from her. Below the image is the text, "THE ATTACK". Handwritten on the front of the postcard is, "1. Hy Jack and Her. 4/29/07 Anto." The postcard is addressed to Miss Rosa Louise Dill 206 East 5th Street Oklahoma City, Okla. It is postmarked Monett & Paris on Apr 29.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Joe E. Haynes
[Barbershop Quartet]

[Barbershop Quartet]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Barbershop Quartet in Palestine Texas.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST