You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Land Office Building]

[Land Office Building]

Date: 1894
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Texas General Land Office building (now the Capitol Visitor's Center).
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[St. Mary's Academy]

[St. Mary's Academy]

Date: 1894
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Bridge over Barton Creek]

[Bridge over Barton Creek]

Date: December 1894
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a bridge over Barton Creek.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

Date: 1895~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a steam locomotive built by Rogers Locomotive works about 1875. One of the operators stands on the pilot attached to the engine by the front center coupler. Steam locomotives operated until the mid 20th century, when electric and diesel models took over. Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works, based in Paterson, New Jersey, was a popular 19th century manufacturer of railroad steam locomotives. This model is a 2-4-2 indicating its wheel-arrangement.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon

"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon

Date: June 7, 1895
Creator: Brooks
Description: Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Date: April 13, 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]

[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]

Date: 1897
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]

[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]

Date: 1898/1899-01-22
Creator: Journeay, William O.
Description: Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion]

[Governor's Mansion]

Date: 1898
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the northeast.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Interior of St. David's Episcopal Church]

[Interior of St. David's Episcopal Church]

Date: 1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the sanctuary of St. David's Episcopal Church. It is decorated with lights and garland for Christmas.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library