Breckenridge Library

About this Partner

The Breckenridge Library presents a number of historical newspapers including the Breckenridge Daily American (1922-1940), Breckenridge Weekly Democrat (1926-1933), the Stephens County Sun (1933-1940), and the junior and senior high school newspaper published by the journalism students, The Dynamo (1932-1939).

The Breckenridge Library is a part of the Breckenridge Library and Fine Arts Foundation. It is a private library providing public services to Breckenridge, Stephens County and the surrounding area. The library occupies over 7500 square feet and contains over 27,000 titles. it is staffed by two employees and many volunteers.

Neither the City of Breckenridge nor Stephens County has ever had a public library which was fully supported by the City or the County. In the past, both the County and the City to some degree supported a library, but the organization as it formerly existed was the brain child of and was created by the Wednesday Study Club. The Library had a shaky financial structure and was moved from place to place with no permanent home. Prior to its present location, it was housed in part of the YMCA. In January, 1983, a matching grant became available and Virginia and Lester Clark provided the matching funds to provide the library with the current facilities. The Breckenridge Library and Fine Arts Foundation was formed and now supports the Library and the Fine Arts Center. As a result of the established foundation, in 1985 the Library moved from the YMCA to its current location.

Contact Information

Name: Judy Credicott
Email:
Partner URL: http://www.brecklibrary.org/
Location:

Breckenridge Library
209 N. Breckenridge Ave.
Breckenridge, Tx 76424