Southern Mercury

What's Inside this Collection.

Southern Mercury

Originally begun in 1892 as a newspaper friendly with the Texas Farmers Alliance, the Southern Mercury became the official journal of the Alliance by 1886, under the supervision of editor E.G. Rust. Through one name change (from Mercury to Southern Mercury), political conflict over gubernatorial candidates in the early 1890s, and multiple layout changes, the newspaper was a highly influential reform journal in the Southwest, until 1908, when it ceased publication.