You limited your search to:

  Partner: Irving Archives
 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Brick School Building Being Torn Down

Date: 1959
Creator: unknown
Description: The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day

Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling

Wedding Picture of Joe and Essie Keeling

Date: 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: Essie Jones and Joe Keeling's wedding picture. Essie Jones and Joe Keeling were married in 1910. Both lived most of their lives in Irving. They had three children: Helen, Weldon and Clyde.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
West Fork of the Trinity River in Flood Stage

West Fork of the Trinity River in Flood Stage

Date: 1908
Creator: unknown
Description: Irving was established between the Elm and West Forks of the Trinity River. Flooding was a common occurrence along the river prior to its re-channeling and the construction of a levee system. During Irving's early decades, the primary route from Irving to Dallas was across the West Fork. In 1908, a major flood washed out the bridges and isolated Irvingites until the waters receded.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Sowers School, 1906

Sowers School, 1906

Date: 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Top row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor, and Charlie Wilson Middle row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore, and Alice Lusk Bottom row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W.B. “Bill” Gilbert (holding catcher’s ...
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Date: c. 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Date: c. 1911 - 1912
Creator: unknown
Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
William Smith House - Side View

William Smith House - Side View

Date: 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: This photo, made in 1906, shows a side view of the William Smith home in the Union Bower community. The house was built in 1888.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
William Smith Home in Union Bower

William Smith Home in Union Bower

Date: 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: William Smith, area pioneer, built this house in the Union Bower community in 1888. It stood along what would become Maryland Street in Irving until it was torn down in the 1980s. Seen in this 1906 photo are L. G. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Hood, Mrs. Mattie Smith, Bert Smith, Mrs. Jennie Smith, William Hood, and Frank and Charlie Voirin.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives