Fayette Public Library, Museum and Archives

In 1938, the City of La Grange purchased a 1,500 hundred volume private library housed in the historic Stiehl home. By the mid 1970’s the “little old library” held a collection of nearly 10,000 items and could hold no more. Construction of a new library, museum, and archives complex began in 1976 as a community project during the American Bicentennial. The new facility was dedicated in April 1978. In 2004 construction began to add a second story and expand the first floor. The new second story was built to house a larger and state of art Fayette Heritage Museum and Archives. The expansion project was completed and the new facility, over 15,000, square feet re opened in February of 2005. The Library, Museum, and Archives serves the city of La Grange and surrounding communities in Fayette County.

Contact

Reference

979-968-3765

library@cityoflg.com

Address

855 S Jefferson Street
La Grange, TX 78945



At a Glance