Marshall Public Library - 734 Matching Results

Search Results

[Marshall Hotel, Marshall]

Description: The multi-story Marshall Hotel is a landmark in downtown Marshall. It is located on E. Houston Street. The corner shown is E. Houston and Lafayette. The building to the left of the hotel is the Mahon Building, was an office building at the time of the picture, c1970. After many years of standing empty and neglected, the hotel is currently under restoration.
Date: 1970~

[Cemetery Cleanup, Marshall]

Description: The Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall was receiving a cleanup at the time of this picture, c1984. The cemetery is located on FM 1997. It is a traditionally African-American site. A unidentified man with his back to the camera is seen at left. In the center is a box truck pulling a utility trailer with a chipper on it. In foreground the graves which have already been cleared are visible.
Date: unknown

[Grave of Father and Son Leach, Marshall]

Description: The graves of Matthew Leach, Sr. and Matthew Leach, Jr. are in the Powder Mill Cemetery in Marshall. The cemetery, located on FM 1997 in Marshall, is traditionally African-American. Dates of Matthew Leach, Sr. are 1882-1952. Dates of Matthew Leach, Jr. are 1910-1968. Stalks of flowers are engraved into the top of the single stone which touches two slabs. A vase of flowers rests on the slab at left. Another grave is visible to the left also. Behind the scene is an iron fence.
Date: unknown

[Lions Host Fish Fry to Benefit Marshall Public Library]

Description: The Lions Club of Marshall hosted a fish fry in April, 1972 to benefit the Marshall Public Library Building Fund. Harrison Forbes, club president, stands with Martin Spangler, who headed the fund-raising drive for the Friends of the Public Library. The two men stand in front of the Lions Club's banner; in front of them are promotional placards in the shape of fish on a string.
Date: unknown

[New Flag for a New Library]

Description: Members of the Army National Guard raise the new flag in front of the new Marshall Public Library at formal presentation ceremonies. The flag previously flew over the Capitol, and was a gift arranged by Congressman Sam B. Hall, Jr. through the Ladies Auxiliary of VFW Post 3969.
Date: 1973

[Flag Presentation]

Description: The first flag to fly over the new Marshall Public Library was flown over the Capitol before being presented to the library by the Ladies Auxiliary of the VFW Post 3969. The gift was made possible by Congressman Sam B. Hall of Harrison County. Three members of the Army National Guard are shown raising the colors at the formal presentation ceremony.
Date: 1973

[Grave of John L. A. Baltimore, Marshall]

Description: The grave of John L. A. Baltimore is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997, Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on the stone are Feb 5 1914 and Oct 17 1956. Other information is "TEXAS CK2 USNR World War II." There is a simple encircled cross at the top. The stone is attached to a larger slab. A pot of flowers sits above.
Date: unknown

[Grave of Annie Mae Powell, Marshall]

Description: The grave of Annie Mae Powell is in the Powder Mill Cemetery on FM 1997 in Marshall. The cemetery is traditionally African-American. The dates on this headstone are Dec. 11 1885 - May 19 1916. The name Powell is in large raised block letters on the middle of the stone. Scroll lines decorate the top edge. Other graves are visible nearby.
Date: unknown

[Graves in Nichols Cemetery, Marshall]

Description: These graves are in Nichols (Old Sudduth) Cemetery on Merrill St. in east Marshall. The letters on the stone in foreground are illegible. The stone at right center is for two Madisons. Others are visible in the distance. The cemetery, a traditionally African-American site, is maintained.
Date: unknown

[Three African-American Citizens]

Description: Three unidentified African-American citizens pose in a room. One senior man is accompanied by two senior women. The room's location is also unknown. An exterior door is at left. Art objects on wall and shelf decoratethe room, which has stains on the wall and ceiling.
Date: unknown

[Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall]

Description: Rambo Funeral Home in Marshall has been serving the African-American community for decades. It is located at 622 S. Carter St., an address which places it in the "New Town Neighborhood" of west Marshall. New Town is a cluster of residences, businesses, professional offices, schools, and churches which developed by 1930 around Wiley College. It is currently of interest as a historical area to be preserved for local African-American history.
Date: unknown

[Central High School, Marshall]

Description: Central High School was located on a hill at the conjunction of Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St in Marshall. It was built by Prof. H. B. Pemberton, using his own funds which were repaid by donations. It was the first public school for African-Americans in the city. In the beginning all grade levels were there. When elementary schools were built, those grades moved and Central became a high school. Later the high school moved to a new campus on Wiley Ave. (Rosborough Springs Rd.) The old building was torn down and the hill leveled. Today a historic marker stands on the site.
Date: unknown