[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion]

Description

Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns. Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. 1870.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs and was provided by Austin History Center, Austin Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 30 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Named Persons

People who are significant in some way to the content of this photograph. Additional names may appear in Subjects below.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Austin History Center

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

As the local history division of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to Austin history.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion front and south elevation, unpainted brick, with fence and grounds. The upper balcony is not connected to the columns.

Built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1870 is Governor Edmund J. Davis. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Austin History Center General Collection Photographs

These materials depict the city of Austin from the 1830s to the 1970s. They include a wide range of subjects, from the Texas State Capitol and Barton Springs to aerial views, cityscapes, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 1870

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Oct. 27, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • June 24, 2014, 4:09 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 30

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion], photograph, 1870; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124116/: accessed December 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.